It is your content that brings traffic to your website and keeps bringing it on an ongoing basis. But is it all about having content? Many websites and blogs simply publish content in order to get traffic. This may or may not work, and usually doesn’t. It all depends on what you are trying to promote. You may get “tons of traffic” but this traffic doesn’t mean you are getting lots of sales.
What type of content works for a website?
A website needs targeted content. As a business website it is prudent to publish two types of content:
- Business content
- Educational content
Business content promotes your business. It tells your visitors why they should do business with you. It is a mix of information and a sales pitch. The sole purpose of your business content is to convince your visitors that you provide a valuable product or service and that they should be doing business with you.
Educational content educates your visitors about your product or service. Although it’s written to inform your visitors, it can also establish you as an expert in your field and promote your business. You can create engaging articles or blog posts where you can explain how your customers and clients can benefit by using your product or service. You can also create tutorials or address common issues that they may face while or before using your product or service. In order to draw visitors from search engines and social media and networking websites on an ongoing basis you will need to be very creative. But the effort is worthwhile. Stay focused and keep your target audience in mind when you are thinking of titles and keywords and key phrases.
What are some tips for writing effective content?
- Keep your articles short and to the point. Write only one to two pages per article at the most. This allows you to optimize your pages and maximize search engine results by focusing on one keyword group per page.
- Publish only high quality content. Lots of wordy fluff won’t keep your visitors on your pages or encourage them to share your link. Develop fresh, insightful stories that are relevant to your target audience.
- Build and internal link structure. Organize your content and provide links to other articles on your site. This will make it easy for visitors to access your content and encourage them to stick around on your site by offering them an easy way to see what other articles of interest you offer on your site.
- Provide tools for sharing. Encourage your visitors to share the links to your site by including content sharing tools for social networking and bookmarking sites, such as Facebook and Twitter. If it is easy for them to share your content, the more inbound links you are likely to get!
- Create Content in a Variety of Styles. Consumers today are very visually oriented, so make sure to include pictures, images, infographics and videos whenever possible. Creating videos to discuss content will reach even more viewers and consumers than only using written content.
Developing a network of high-quality content within your site provides a number of valuable opportunities to enhance your website’s popularity as well as your overall internet content marketing campaign. It also provides a service to your audience by providing them with useful information and establishes your company with credibility.